Last minute Christmas gift panic?!A quick chutney, this is ready for eating almost immediately but will continue to mellow if left to mature. You might even be able to sneak a jar into a last minute Christmas hamper if you make it right away! It should keep in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months, and once opened should be stored in the fridge and eaten within one month. It pairs brilliantly with goats cheese, or alongside cold meats.
Makes 1.5 litres. You will need 6 x 250ml sterilised jars (see post here), with vinegar-proof lids.
- 500g fresh beetroot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1kg cooking apples, peeled, quartered, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 medium/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 75g crystallised stem ginger, finely chopped
- 350g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp seasalt flakes
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 750ml red wine vinegar
Very simply add everything to a large pot, stir to combine and bring to the boil.
Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally. The apple should have broken down into a mush by the time the beetroot is tender.
Decant into warm, sterilised jars while still hot and seal.